The White Lion Inn free house is an award – winning traditional sandstone pub located in the heart of West Kirby, dating back as far as the 1800s at least. This historical treasure offers a cosy atmosphere, with a log burner and plenty of comfortable seating. There is a large sun trap of a beer garden for families and friends to enjoy in the warmer times of the year. We also pride ourselves on being a dog friendly environment both inside and outside of the pub. The White Lion Inn offers 5 well - kept cask ales amongst other alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages to suit your fancy.
1827 – John Croxon, a farmer of West Kirby is granted 2 parcels of land through the Act of Parliament.
1829 – Sold to John Brown, yeoman.
1831 – John Brown sells one parcel of land to Samuel Richardson.
1838 – Samuel Richardson sells land to George Booth, a shoemaker. Booth builds house and other buildings on the land.
1880 – Property bequeathed to his son, Henry Booth, and 2 daughters Margaret Booth and Ann Barlow. Each of them receives a dwelling house and some land.
1891 – Margaret Booth bequeaths her property to her brother Henry. This is the first time the property is referred to as the ‘Lion Inn’, as well as being the first time a public house is mentioned in the deeds.
1892 – Ann Barlow sells her property to Henry Booth.
1904 – Henry bequeaths all of his property including the ‘White Lion’ and 2 cottages to his wife.
June 1904 – Booth family sells the ‘White Lion Inn’ and 2 dwelling houses to the Birkenhead Brewery Company.
1968 – Brewery changes to Threlfalls
1971 - Becomes part of Whitbread
1974 – Sold at auction to Margaret Richardson.
1975 - ‘Ladies Only’ bar in the games room which became the focus of national press.
2018 – current day. - Owned by Andy Cockram